Monday, April 18, 2022

IN THE FACE OF THE SUN, by author DENNY S. BRYCE (out April 26th!)

In this haunting novel set at the height of the Civil Rights Movement in the 1960s, the author of Wild Women and the Blues takes readers on an audacious road trip with a pregnant young woman and her brash, profane aunt from Chicago to Los Angeles to confront a decades-old mystery from 1920’s Black Hollywood.

1928, Los Angeles: The newly-built Hotel Somerville is the hotspot for the city's glittering African-American elite. It embodies prosperity and dreams of equality for all—especially Daisy Washington. An up-and-coming journalist, Daisy anonymously chronicles fierce activism and behind-the-scenes Hollywood scandals in order to save her family from poverty. But power in the City of Angels is also fueled by racism, greed, and betrayal. And even the most determined young woman can play too many secrets too far . . .

1968, Chicago: For Frankie Saunders, fleeing across America is her only escape from an abusive husband. But her rescuer is her reckless, profane Aunt Daisy, still reeling from her own shattered past. Frankie doesn't want to know what her aunt is up to so long as Daisy can get her to LA—and safety. But Frankie finds there’s no hiding from long-held secrets—or her own surprising strength.

Daisy will do whatever it takes to settle old scores and resolve the past—no matter the damage. And Frankie will come up against hard choices in the face of unexpected passion. Both must come to grips with what they need, what they’ve left behind—and all that lies ahead . . .

“Bryce excels at placing readers in a glamorous time and place…riveting and vibrant.” – Booklist

Author interview ~

Finish this: "I can't write without..."

I seriously cannot write without coffee. Black coffee. No sugar. Preferably Starbucks. However, if I am someplace with a superior coffee house--and there are two that I can think of, but both are far away. OK, I'll tell you. One is any coffee shop in Hawaii, the state has some of the best coffee I've ever tasted. The other coffee shop is in Rome. And yes, I used to travel a lot and some of my favorite things to do while on the road included seeking out coffee shops, or cool cafes. I'd do this early, too, before the tours begin. And I'd take a notebook or my iPad because I type with my thumbs, and I'd kick back and watch the scenery and write.

If I had to spend a week on a deserted island, I would need...

I'd read. I'd take a stack of printed books because a deserted island implies very little electrical stuff and a couple of pairs of glasses because my eyesight needs assistance because of all of the computer-work I do. Then, I'd sit on the beach with a good beach umbrella, and a big jug of water, and read. I'd also need a cook and a bartender. And yes, I'm thinking my deserted island is sounding more and more like a resort. But let's go with my interpretation of a deserted island because I love luxury.

What career did you think you'd have as an adult?


My dream career was more than one career. I've been a dancer, a media spokesperson, a choreographer, an event management firm owner, and a bad actress but a fair singer. All these careers I've been fortunate enough to pursue and participate in fully. First, I wanted to be a professional dancer.  I am in love with old movies and some old movies that I watched back in the day included films starring Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Cyd Charisse, Shirley MacLaine, but then at my high school during an assembly we had a special guest -- dancers from the Alvin Ailey Dance Theater came and visited my school and that performance was a life changer for me.  Now, I'm a full-time writer, also a dream, since, during every leg of my multiple career journey, I always wrote. I have boxes of journals, wrote press releases, news articles, brochures, and all sorts of things covering many different topics. Then I also wrote a lot of fan fiction. My fandom was Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I wrote Spike/Buffy and Spike/Angel fan fiction.

What are you working on now?

I am very excited about the release of my sophomore novel, IN THE FACE OF THE SUN. Available everywhere on April 26, the historical fiction is also written as a dual timeline. Here's a bit about this story set in 1928 and 1968.

In this haunting novel set at the height of the Civil Rights Movement in the 1960s, the author of Wild Women and the Blues takes readers on an audacious road trip with a pregnant young woman and her brash, profane aunt from Chicago to Los Angeles to confront a decades-old mystery from 1920’s Black Hollywood.

1928, Los Angeles: The newly built Hotel Somerville is the hotspot for the city's glittering African-American elite. It embodies prosperity and dreams of equality for all—especially Daisy Washington. An up-and-coming journalist, Daisy anonymously chronicles fierce activism and behind-the-scenes Hollywood scandals in order to save her family from poverty. But power in the City of Angels is also fueled by racism, greed, and betrayal. And even the most determined young woman can play too many secrets too far . . .

1968, Chicago: For Frankie Saunders, fleeing across America is her only escape from an abusive husband. But her rescuer is her reckless, profane Aunt Daisy, still reeling from her own shattered past. Frankie doesn't want to know what her aunt is up to so long as Daisy can get her to LA—and safety. But Frankie finds there’s no hiding from long-held secrets—or her own surprising strength.

I also have two projects that I am working on. The first one due is a biographical historical fiction about Sarah Bonetta Forbes. It takes place in the 19th century in West Africa, Portugal, and England.  She was an African princess who was "gifted" to Queen Victoria in 1850 after being "saved" from sacrificial death by a British officer. So my next novel takes place in the 19 century and is a story about the life of Sarah Bonetta Forbes. What excites me about this book in addition to the fact that she's an amazing historical figure is the opportunity to write about West Africa (today Nigeria and Benin for example) in the 19th century. The other story that I'm excited about is The Trial of Mrs. Rhinelander for Kensington Books. This novel, historical fiction retells the story of Alice Rhinelander, a domestic, and "Kip" Rhinelander, an American socialite, who were the primary figures in a sensational court case that began in 1925 in New York City.  

Kip accused his young bride of not telling him she was Negro. Mrs. Rhinelander fought the case and the compelling story that takes the reader into the wealthy New York upper crust, New Rochelle, and Harlem where the fictional character Marvel Cunningham, a reporter at the New Amsterdam News (one of the largest Black-owned newspapers in America at the time). Marvel's character is inspired by real-life legend Marvel Cooke, a pioneering American journalist, writer, and civil rights activist.


What is your favorite music genre?

Oh, my gosh music and I are always on a journey because there's so much, I like so many genres so many artists, but I guess I'll go with what is top of mind right now. My favorite group happens to be BTS, also known as the Bangtan Boys (except each of the seven members is 25 or older, so I'd call them, men). I love performers. They are excellent singers, but they are also amazing dancers and performers. Their musical taste also reflects one of the fab decades in music -- the 90s. They do Hip-Hop, R&B, Pop, and more. Initially, I was attracted to the voice of singer Kim Tae-Hyung known professionally as V. His solos Stigma and Singularity are among my favorite songs, period.  

Again, I must mention my love of dance because music and movement go together for me.  Therefore, some of the other great singers and great songs I love are in the jazz genre. I am devoted to the classics of the 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s. Artists like Louis Armstrong, Alberta Hunter, Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr., and just too many names to mention. 

To connect with Denny ~






















No comments:

Post a Comment